Friday, July 15, 2011

Mmmmm....pie

I love me some good pie. So I thought I'd share a little bit of how I made my very first pecan pie the other day.

I usually roll out pie crust on parchment paper (you'll see why). Before I get rolling though, I trace my pie plate onto the bottom side of the parchment. Then I draw another line about an inch and a half out from the first one. Flip it over and you'll still be able to see the circles when you roll out the pie crust and know that you've made it large enough for you pie plate.


Once you're ready to transfer the crust to the pie plate you can just pick up the parchment paper and flip the crust into the plate! This is awesome because whenever I try to roll the crust onto the rolling pin to transfer it, I always ALWAYS screw it up. Carefully peel off the parchment and ease the crust into the edges of the pie plate.


This recipe calls for the crust to be partially baked before adding the filling. I line the crust with foil and then use dried beans as pie weights.


Adding the cooked filling to a warm partially baked crust means that the pie cooks up nicely and the crust doesn't get soggy.

Yum.


I may or may not have had pie for breakfast. I'll never tell.

2 comments:

  1. You better have had pie since it's the best thing in the world for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm.... that looks amazing! love your technique too ~ especially the dry beans to keep the crust from puffing up ~ genius!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!